Tom,

On its face, I don't find any fault with having a missionary bring a report of the work that is being done in the place of service. However, I have seen too many, I guess, that show films or photos which are obviously meant to evoke the emotions, e.g., pictures of starving children, extreme poverty, filthy children clinging to the missionaries, etc. We all know there are poor and needy in this world, as our Lord told us (Matt 26:11). And we should try and relieve their pitiful situation as we are able (Lk 18:22; Gal 2:20). But the main purpose of sending a missionary out into the world, whether that place is Uganda, Siberia, New York City or your own home town, is to preach the Gospel that all men may repent of their sins and turn to the Lord Jesus Christ in faith that they may be reconciled to God. More often than not, in my personal experience, missionaries have forsaken the true Gospel for something far different that will in the end allow them to show the "fruit of their labor" which will keep the money flowing in. Some will say how entire tribes have been converted and come to Jesus. But all too often, I fear, true conversions are rare if they have occurred at all.

So yes... I encourage missionaries to come and report of their work. And I want to know what is the Gospel they are preaching, if they are preaching at all. I want to know what they are teaching the people they are living amongst. And yes, I am interested in the temporal needs of the people as well. But what good is it if a child's belly is full but its destiny is eternal damnation? scratchchin

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]