Originally Posted by hisalone
Such as the doctrine of justification by faith alone. Yes, it was revealed fully in scripture (I'm not saying there is any "new" truth). However, our Lord allowed the truth of justification by faith to be lost and hidden for an extended period of time. It wasn't until individuals were willing to stand against the grain, against those teachers who were set in their beliefs, that the truth was finally regained.
From what Johan asked you, this would be an example of a doctrine, view, teaching which would require a change in the Church's creed, confession, etc. Secondly, the doctrine of Sola Fide was not "new light" but OLD truth which was certainly believed long before Luther brought the matter before the then (and still continues to be) apostate. Even a cursory reading of the ECF will show that the doctrine of justification by faith alone was well established as the doctrine of the Church. Augustine surely held to Sola Fide in the 4th century. So, I think your example is irrelevant.

With great reluctance I would also mention that your view of the "universal love of God" DOES impact against the great Confessions and Catechisms of the Protestant Church which came out of the Reformation. The BIBLE and thus The Canons of Dordt are very clear that God does NOT love all men, for the love of God is inextricably consigned to those who were predestined to salvation in Jesus Christ. So, this would be another view, doctrine, teaching which you might call a "further revelation of God Himself" that is contradictory to what the Reformers and Puritans believed in regard to the very being, nature and attributes of God and the doctrine of predestination/reprobation. Again, it is NOT as if such things were never considered over the past two millennia. It is NOT as if men such as John Calvin or Jonathan Edwards or John Owen, or Charles Spurgeon, or Charles Hodge, or Louis Berkhof, et al never opened their Bibles and sought to find answers to such issues. They were Bereans! And some of us are likewise Bereans and have searched the Scriptures and found what they wrote as being true.

The way you come across at times is that you aren't willing to stand upon these men's shoulders but rather to step on their heads. Can you honestly say that when (if) you read the Westminster Confession of Faith you are awed by the wisdom of what the framers wrote? Do you feel inadequate in your knowledge of Scripture and of God due to the thoroughness found in each and every single article? Do you feel humbled when you see how their love of God and of His Word is handled? And, do you feel thankful and praise God for this incredible document? Personally, I must and will publicly profess I do as is likewise the case with similar Confessions and Catechisms that came out of the Protestant Reformation. Are they infallible? No. Are they authoritative? Yes as secondary authorities which the CHURCH has been blessed with to be used as summaries, guides and guardians of biblical truth. Those of us who have voluntarily and gladly joined with confessional churches consider ourselves most privileged to be the recipients of the Holy Spirit's work in the writers of all these historical church documents. We see God's hand in them and praise Him for His providential care in preserving them for our benefit and for raising up teachers who instruct us in them.

In His grace,

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]