Originally Posted by Paul_S
You have just made several statements which at face value--and you gave no hint of their being intended in any other way
Whenever was meant to mean at any given time, not every time, so my apology of using poor, unclear English. I was thinking of the prophets of the O.T. when they brought a message that was not to the people’s liking, and when Luther stood at the Diet at Worms, and others who stood for truth and suffered, many dying for their testimony, so my mind was on them not going against conscience because of their Holy fear of God yet able to stand because of their infallible trust of God.
I don’t know how you think anyone on a website can “force” their opinions on another.
As you must know, I’m talking about how individuals make personal judgments and belittle anyone in opposition to their beliefs; this is speaking solely of doctrinal beliefs. My x and x were about biblical/Christian ethics, not a matter of doctrinal belief. It was a statement with me included, my demeanor must constantly be kept in check. In this discussion group if a person is outside the general consensus, they are not made to feel very welcome some times.
YOU CANNOT NOW ANYTHING FROM WHAT COMES FROM THE PAST
Again, this was my fault again for not being clearer. My point was that the RC’s and Pharisees were both confident that they had the absolute handle on the truth, that they comprehended God totally and there wasn’t anything that they needed to learn anymore. They basically built walls around their beliefs to keep everything out, including the Holy Spirit. You will notice I said to protect the “law”, meaning God’s Word is good, with full agreement, the loss of the authority of the word or its place in the church is the most devastating thing that happens, both in the O.T. and the N.T. However, we must not protect it so staunchly that we are unable to learn more from it through His Spirit.
I see only two logical alternatives to your parenthetical statement
Or (C’) having the mind of Christ 1 Cor. 2:16
If someone ignorant of primary issues demonstrates true humility by admitting their ignorance…
That sheds light on everything, instead of being treated as a brother in Christ, when there is disagreement, the opposing person is considered ignorant and unless the one who disagreed doesn’t admit to their ignorance, they will be treated and considered as such. That is why a person feels belittled. I honestly grieved over how Carlos was treated. Although I didn’t agree with what he was saying, he still came across as a brother in the Lord who was only excited about what God was doing in his life, yet the desire was to quench his enthusiasm. We didn’t even give him a chance to work through things showing patience and love.
I’m not a philosopher nor do I do any “I” ratings, I’m poor in English and not as learned as most in this group. However, I am a child of God who has sought to honor, be obedient and glorify Him, knowing full well the condemnation I bring on myself by teaching error.
"Not many of you should become teachers, my brothers, for you know that we who teach will be judged with greater strictness. (James 3:1)" and
"I tell you, on the day of judgment people will give account for every careless word they speak, for by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned. (Matthew 12:36-37" and
"Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who has no need to be ashamed, rightly handling the word of truth." (2 Timothy 2:15)
I acquiescence to the verses above, and if I’m out of line with these, may the Lord rebuke me. I have always sought to be true to His word with the ability He has given me. I am seen as a standaloner which is not my intention, I am only stating what I believe to be truth, and until the Spirit convinces me otherwise, It’s impossible for me to agree just because people say I must due to the history of the past. It isn’t that easy to go contrary to conscience.

Originally Posted by Pilgrim
Can you honestly say that when (if) you read the Westminster Confession of Faith you are awed by the wisdom…
I’m awed and blessed also, with the spiritual understanding which God gave these giants of the past. After the Bible I find no greater joy than spending time with the saints of old. Additionally, they don’t judge me when I disagree with them either. They continue to kindly speak to me in spite of our small disagreements.

Hisalone
Matt. 6:33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you. KJV