Here are a couple of mine:

"I ask you, Martin - answer candidly and without horns- do you or do you not repudiate your books and the errors which they contain?" Archbishop of Trier, John Eck Luther replied, "Since then Your Majesty and your lordships desire a simple reply, I will answer without horns and without teeth. Unless I am convicted by Scripture and plain reason- I do not accept the authority of popes and councils, for they have contradicted each other- my conscience is captive to the Word of God. I cannot and I will not recant anything, for to go against conscience is neither right nor safe. Here I stand, I can do no other." God help me. Amen."

Martin Luther
Diet of Worms

-------

Three Aims of Our Salvation

"When Scripture speaks to us of our salvation it proposes to us three aims. One is that we recognize the inestimable love God has shown toward us, so that He may be glorified by us as He deserves. Another, that we hold our sin in such detestation as is proper, and that we be sufficiently ashamed to humble ourselves before the majesty of our God. The third, that we value our salvation in such a manner that it makes us forsake the world and all that pertains to this frail life, and that we be overjoyed with that inheritance which has been acquired for us at such a price."

John Calvin 1509-1564

-------

Counterfeit Religion

" It is by the mixture of counterfeit religion with true, not discerned and distinguished, that the devil has had his greatest advantage against the cause and kingdom of Christ all along hitherto. It is by this means, principally, that he has prevailed against all revivings of religion that ever have been since the first founding of the Christian church"

Jonathan Edwards
"The Religious Affections"

------

Little and Secret Sins

"Say not that the sin is little, for many a man has died of a little wound; and we all know that the small end of the wedge makes way for the greater. Nor say that it is secret; a man may die of a secret stab as well as of an open wound."

Obadiah Sedgwick (1600-1658)
"Christ's Counsel To His Languishing Church
------

A quote of Bernard is commonly known: 'Some desire to know merely for the sake of knowing, and that is shameful curiosity. Some desire to know that they may sell their knowledge , and that too is shameful. Some desire to know for reputation's sake, and that is shameful vanity. But there are some who desire to know that they may edify others, and that is praiseworthy; and there are some who desire to know that they themselves may be edified and that is wise.'

The Reformed Pastor
Richard Baxter

--------

To know that nothing hurts the godly, is a matter of comfort; but to be assured that all things which fall out shall co-operate for their good, that their crosses shall be turned into blessings, that showers of affliction water the withering root of their grace and make it flourish more; this may fill their hearts with joy till they run over.

Thomas Watson

------
God sweetens outward pain with inward peace.

Thomas Watson

-------

The winter prepares the earth for the spring, so do afflictions sanctified prepare the soul for glory.

Richard Sibbes

-------

As the wicked are hurt by the best things, so the godly are bettered by the worst.

William Jenkyn

-------

The secret formula of the saints: When I am in the cellar of affliction, I look for the Lord's choicest wines.

Samuel Rutherford

-------

[Afflictions] are light when compared with what we really deserve. They are light when compared with the sufferings of the Lord Jesus. But perhaps their real lightness is best seen by comparing them with the weight of glory which is awaiting us.

Arthur W. Pink

-------

No wise man can expect that.... God should diet us with a continual feast. It would neither suit with our health, nor the condition of this pilgrimage. Live, therefore, on your peace of conscience as your ordinary diet; when this is wanting, know that God appointeth you a fast for your health; and when you have a feast of high joys, feed on it and be thankful! But when they are taken from you, gape not after them as the disciples did after Christ at His ascension; but return thankfully to your ordinary diet of peace.

Richard Baxter

-------

Chastisement is designed for our good, to promote our highest interests. Look beyond the rod to the All-wise hand that wields it!

Arthur W. Pink

-------

My brethren, let me say, be like Christ at all times. Imitate him in "public." Most of us live in some sort of public capacity—many of us are called to work before our fellow-men every day. We are watched; our words are caught; our lives are examined—taken to pieces. The eagle-eyed, argus-eyed world observes everything we do, and sharp critics are upon us. Let us live the life of Christ in public. Let us take care that we exhibit our Master, and not ourselves--so that we can say, "It is no longer I that live, but Christ that lives in me."

Charles Spurgeon

-------

We spend our years with sighing; it is a valleyof tears; but death is the funeral of all our sorrows.

Thomas Watson
-------

Let thy hope of heaven master thy fear of death. Why shouldst thou be afraid to die, who hopest to live by dying!

William Gurnall

----

Though Christians be not kept altogether from falling, yet they are kept from falling altogether.

William Secker

-----

Eternity to the godly is a day that has no sunset; eternity to the wicked is a night that has no sunrise.

Thomas Watson

Where reason cannot wade there faith may swim.

Thomas Watson

----

We fear men so much, because we fear God so little. One fear cures another. When man's terror scares you, turn your thoughts to the wrath of God.

William Gurnall

----

Grace and glory differ very little; the one is the seed, the other is the flower; grace is glory militant, glory is grace triumphant.

Thomas Brooks

-----

As rivers, the nearer they come to the ocean whither they tend, the more they increase their waters, and speed their streams; so will grace flow more fully and freely in its near approaches to the ocean of glory.

John Owen

-----

Christ will be master of the heart, and sin must be mortified. If your life is unholy, then your heart is unchanged, and you are an unsaved person. The Savior will sanctify His people, renew them, give them a hatred of sin, and a love of holiness. The grace that does not make a man better than others is a worthless counterfeit. Christ saves His people, not IN their sins, but FROM their sins. Without holiness, no man shall see the Lord.

Charles Spurgeon

-----

Prayer is not appointed for the furnishing of God with the knowledge of what we need, but it is designed as a confession to Him of our sense of the need. In this, as in everything, God's thoughts are not as ours. God requires that His gifts should be sought for. He designs to be honoured by our asking, just as He is to be thanked by us after He has bestowed His blessing.

Arthur W. Pink

--------

Watch constantly against those things which are thought to be no temptations. The most poisonous serpents are found where the sweetest flowers grow. Cleopatra was poisoned by an asp that was brought to her in a basket of fair flowers. Sharp-edged tools, long handled, wound at last.

Charles Spurgeon

Reformed and Always Reforming,