Henry said:
BrianB said:
Some would be. Those in the original audiences and closer to the time the documents were written would have understood them. Moses' original audience would have understood them.

So the ancient Israelites had access to modern science, which helped them interpret Moses' writings? News to me!

Where did I say that?

Part of this is because we have more extra-Biblical information to help us. Part is due to the fact that we have more refined historical investigative methods. Other things as well I'm sure.

Did the Mosaic Jews understand that the structure of the covenants was just like the international treaties of the surrounding nations? Sure. Is this understanding missing from the bulk of the literature of the Church until recently? As far as I know. But now we know (thanks to Mendenhall, Kline, and Kitchen) that the covenants followed the formal structure of ANE international treaties/covenants.

Again, I'm surprised you can't see the difference between, say, the covanental structures and allowing modern science to affect how we interpret the scriptures.

There's some difference, but both are extra-Biblical sources of information.

The right interpretation was there, and it didn't _require_ that we have the results of modern scientific investigation. It's just that now we have had more reason to re-examine our thinking on the interpretation of the text.

Oh, so now we don't need science to help us interpret Scripture- but simply a correct understanding of scripture?

I never said that modern Science was an absolute requirement.

Then, out of real curiosity, how come we've been arguing that we can allow science to affect our interpretation of Scripture? I may be wrong, but it seems like you are changing your tune once you're in the corner.

It is the difference between a necessary requirement (need) and a helpful guide (can).

If I take a road trip to California, I can get on roads and just start driving westward until I hit the Pacific Ocean. From there I drive either North or South until I find California. Did I _require_ a map? No. But a map would have been useful even if not a necessary requirement.

I am most enjoying this exchange, and am more then able to understand your time constraints- like I said, they are shared!

It is an interesting discussion, and less hostile that some I've seen or been in previously. You guys are quite respectful which I appreciate.

Brian