BrimstonePreacha,

Your apology is accepted and thank you for replying to my post. I will endeavor to explain in more detail what I wrote to you so we are not confused by misjudging one another's meaning.

I said: 'Let's make every effort to not disparage the reputation of our brothers, as we try to determine the truth as to whether or not "Calvin sanctioned the burning of Servetus."

Clearly, I did not only mean you, because "Let's" means 'Let us.' And 'us' would include myself and everyone reading my reply.

So, to everyone still wanting to discuss this topic, let's make every effort to not disparage the reputation of our brothers, as we try to determine the truth as to whether or not "Calvin sanctioned the burning of Servetus."

I used the word "brothers" to mean all my/our fellow saved Christians to the exclusion of all those who are not my/our fellow brothers in Christ. Since I don't know whether you are my brother in Christ or a tare growing among the wheat, I can't use the pronoun "our" exclusively. As soon as I discern you are my brother, that will change.

"Judge not, that you be not judged." Matthew 7:1 NKJV

My MacArthur Study Bible says the following: '7:1 Judge not. As the context reveals, this does not prohibit all types of judging (v.16). There is a righteous kind of judgment we are supposed to exercise with careful discernment (John 7:24). Censorious, hypocritical, self-righteous, or other kinds of unfaif judgments are forbidden; but in order to fulfill the commandments that follow, it is necessary to discern dogs and swine (v.6) from one's own brethren (vv.3-5).'

Quite frankly, BrimstonePreacha, your own words have testified as to what is in your heart. You have indicated you don't care whether Calvin sanctioned the burning of Servetus.

You have said, your Arminian father has pointed this same passage out to you and quoted the same text of Scripture. Dr. MacArthur has also quoted from this same text of Scripture to make the same point in his excellent 6-part tape sermon 'The Way To Heaven.'

I discern your father and John MacArthur are my brothers and I believe Dr. MacArthur's testimony is accurate with regard to Servetus. I also believe all true believers would agree with Dr. MacArthur and myself with regard to this issue. That's the reason for my words, "Let's make every effort to not disparage the reputation of our brothers, as we try to determine the truth as to whether or not "Calvin sanctioned the burning of Servetus."

I sense you're not only trying to disparage Dr. MacArthur's and my reputation, but by bringing your Dad's testimony into this discussion and using "trying" and "arminian" to describe him and his testimony, you are trying to disparage his reputation as well. Are you ashamed of your father being a follower of Jacobus Arminius? If yes, then show me what 'bad fruit' Arminius or Wesley ever exhibited.

Unregenerant people can't discern the truth. This is because God is not in them. For if God were in them, He (God, the Holy Spirit) would testify to them of the truth.

In this issue, i.e. whether or not it matters to you that 'Calvin sanctioned the burning of Servetus,' or 'Cromwell's armies treated Irish Catholics with appalling ruthlessness', a line is drawn separating wheat from tares. If you are wheat it does matter. If you are tares then it does not matter.

I have said elsewhere there are only four categories of people. There are believers who know the truth (spiritually mature), there are believers who do not know the truth (little children), there are unbelievers who know the truth about their own spirituality (atheists) and there are unbelievers who do not know the truth about their own spirituality (all others.)

Are you claiming to be more spiritually mature (knowledgeable of the truth of God) than Dr. MacArthur? If you are, please provide the evidence, for I find evidences of this lacking in any testimony you have presented at this forum discussion.

Now, as to whether I agree with the authority of the Word of God, that sir, shows how little you have read my replies. I have been disparaged by many people at this website for clearly stating I accept ONLY Scripture as having ANY AUTHORITY.

Clearly Scripture allows for the death penalty, in fact God commands certain people be put to death - by stoning them - not by burning them. I also know Dr. MacArthur agrees with the death penalty and my opinions agree with those of Dr. MacArthur on the death penalty.

There's testimony presented here that Servetus wrote to Calvin in length to discuss Servetus' reasons for disagreeing with the official church doctrine on the trinity. There is no evidence presented that Calvin ever read what Servetus wrote. Does it matter to you IF "Calvin sanctioned the burning of Servetus" without reading what Servetus wrote? IF Calvin did not read what Servetus wrote can it be said he followed the teaching of Jesus in Matthew 7:1?

What is unChristian about disagreeing with the doctrine of the trinity as expressed by the Roman Catholic Church and Calvin, when NO ONE can explain the concept of the trinity to ANYONE'S satisfaction based ONLY on Scripture.

Even Dr. MacArthur has said he can't explain the trinity from Scripture, since it's a mystery, but he accepts the doctrine of the Church in faith.

As to questions you asked, but you say I haven't answered. If you will please tell me which questions you think I failed to answer and re-post them or Private Message them to me, I will do my best to answer them.