Sorry for the confusion, Mike. It didn't occur to me that my possible world talk would be as confusing as it is. Please see my above response to Pilgrim's similar concerns.

Please take a look at my earlier post on this thread (page 1 of 2) where I explain the very limited (but important) sense in which Calvinists think that a human's will is not free. I'm afraid you and some of the Calvinists on this board are talking past one another--at least a little bit. Here's what I mean:

You seem to think that someone who can't choose salvation on their doesn't have a free will. Because you use this definition of free will, others respond by saying, "Humans don't have free will!" You then interpret this as meaning that Human decisions are not up to the humans. There is a middle position where people are free to do lots of different things, but they simply can't--due to character issues--choose to be saved without special help from God. I explain this middle ground position in the post I just mentioned. Please take a look at it and let me know what you think. As it turns out, it isn't just the Calvinist model of free will, it seems to be the view humans use on a regular basis when we engage in morally evaluating others.

Take care,
John

"He that hath light thoughts of sin, never had great thoughts of God." ...John Owen