Originally Posted by brightfame52
I do believe that a person must be saved from the power of sin by a Sovereign work of the Spirit before they believe the truth. I believe 2 Thess 2:13 supports that.
1. First, the passage you cite must be taken in CONTEXT... which is Paul addressing the "church" at Thessalonica and the believing members who he addresses as "brethren".

2 Thessalonians 2:13 (ASV) 13 But we are bound to give thanks to God always for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, for that God chose you from the beginning unto salvation in sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth:
This text appears after the warning and condemnation of false teachers who are causing no little consternation concerning the coming of the Lord. Thus Paul is addressing the necessity of those brethren to adhere to the truth which was given to them and not let these falsehoods cause them to doubt what they already know and which Paul elaborates on. Their security lies in the fact that God had chosen them (predestined and elected) unto salvation in sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the "truth", which in this context is the matter of Christ's return.

2. What is the 'salvation' which you are referring? that precedes 'believing in the truth'. And what is that 'truth'? It is essential that we understand terms, eh? When you use the word salvation, I am assuming you are referring to justification in being united to Christ and His death (passive obedience) and perfect righteousness (active obedience), which is imputed to one who believes. And for the second term 'belief/faith', I am again assuming that you are referring to one's experience of conviction of sin, denial of self, and the embracing of the Lord Christ. And lastly, in regard to the term "[the] truth", I am assuming you are referring to the Gospel, from which instrumentally is used to elicit repentance and faith.

Please tell me the definition of those 3 terms you are using so we know we are on the same page. grin

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]