Originally Posted by Pilgrim
Originally Posted by Cranmer
Volition is not the same thing as "libertarian" free will:
And who is insisting that it is? shrug

Clark's understanding of repentance is faulty because it is inadequately defined. The "change of mind" is but one element of repentance which is inextricably joined with the regenerated sinners spiritual and godly affections. It is the combination of the two: new understanding/knowledge and new affections/predisposition which govern the change of will, i.e., the decision to aver from sin and pursue holiness and righteousness. Regeneration effects the WHOLE man, not just the intellect. I have challenged you on this before by way of a question concerning faith; Is faith simply the acknowledgment and embracing of certain truths? I say, and historic confessional Reformed teaching rejects such a view. In fact, this month's Article of the Month by L. Berkhof, FAITH deals specifically with that subject. True saving faith is known as fiducia. Any other alleged "faith" is spurious and cannot save. Most common among Evangelicals and now increasingly so, Reformed churches teach Sandemanianism. However, you still haven't answered that question and we are still waiting for it.

Please define for me what you mean by the term "affections"? Also, have you read Clark for yourself? You certainly do not seem to understand that the biblical term "heart" is the same thing as the "mind". Surely you are not saying that emotions produce holiness?

Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee. (Psalm 119:11 KJV)
Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth. (John 17:17 KJV)

Sanctification begins with knowledge. That's what the Bible says.

NUN. Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path. (Psalm 119:105 KJV)

Charlie

For "who has known the mind of the LORD that he may instruct Him?" But we have the mind of Christ. (1 Corinthians 2:16 NKJ)